Travel Alone: Siem Reap

Dawn at Angkor Wat Temple.

Once a year, I always go on a solo travel. But usually, within the 7, 100 islands of my country, Philippines. However, as I dig deep on being a traveler, the urge to explore other countries, alone, has seized me. I have been to other countries in Asia before, but with companions, be it my friends or my family and relatives. And so, I planned my solo trip outside the Philippines.

The altar at the garden of the lodge.

My breakfast includes a Vegetable Omelet with Butter and Jam with Cambodian Brewed Coffee.

As a shoestring traveler, I need to carefully plan my trip. Resources, timing, and itinerary should synchronize my objective. I look on a map. And there! I want to go to Cambodia! I want to see the temples! I want to chase waterfalls! Siem Reap is the perfect place.

A few months before my trip, I was able to book a round-trip flight for $89. It is quite cheap since I got it from a seat sale from a local airline. Then, I booked a lodge for $23 for 4 nights. The room was decent enough for my stay. It is a fan room with T/B, 2 single beds, everyday breakfast, and a two-way airport transfer. I will take care of other fees once I get there such as entrances, transportation, food, souvenirs, and of course, the travel tax that I always pay at the airport here in the Philippines (Php 1,620).

I pack my things at least a day before my flight. I used to memorize all the things I will bring along to my trip. But as I aged, I always make a checklist way before the trip. I'm always pre-occupied with other things, okay!

Although Cambodia is part of the ASEAN countries and having a Philippine passport entitles me to an X number of days without a VISA, I always make sure that I am ready for other documents, aside from my passport and a government ID, when facing the immigration. A printed bank statement of my payroll account, Company ID, and current withholding tax certificate (BIR Form 2316) comes in handy. Just in case the immigration officer asks. A printed voucher of hotel booking must also be prepared. But most of my travel, the officers would only ask my reasons for traveling, my passport, and my return flight.

I always read about the place before coming there. I customize my itinerary as much as possible. I see to it that I check on the weather and temperature to be ready and pack clothes that suits the climate. I went there on June and the temperature was 37°C. It is going to be a hot backpacking trip so I packed a number of short pants and dri-fit shirts. I also packed a couple of sarong and shawl for me to use and wrap around my legs before entering temples. I must pack light since I did not bought a check-in luggage and I intended to have a light travel.

My bag is packed. My documents are ready. My phone is on international roaming mode. I got an ATM card that is compatible to Cirrus and VISA machines. I exchange for some Dollars and Riel. I got my itinerary. I was able to download the map and routing of Cambodia in my mobile. I think, I'm all set for my first international solo trip!
Self-timer at Angkor Wat Temple.
Traveling alone can't be that bad after all.

I will write about my travel in Cambodia and have the link here next week! In the meantime, you may want to read some on my blog on the local scene.

CONNECT WITH ME ON Instagram

READ MORE


0 comments:

Post a Comment